What type of innovations are we looking for?
SUSTAINABLE BUILD is looking for projects and innovations globally that can provide solutions to the Innovation Challenge. The solutions can be either stand-alone projects, or an innovative way of integrating existing solutions.
In addition, we seek solutions for both existing and future buildings and for all phases, i.e. across concept, design, construction, operation, and renovation.
Your innovation can be a new type of platform, system, process, method, business model, product, material, component – or something completely different!
See our Innovation Challenge 2020
for further specifications.
Who can participate?
The Innovation Challenge is open to all sectors – we welcome applications from the construction industry and beyond.
We are interested in projects and innovations from early stage towards implementation/rollout/commercialisation with the potential to significantly impact sustainable lives.
It is a global call to action, so we encourage innovators from all around the world to apply.
Why should I participate?
If your innovation is selected, you will get access to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD partners and network, giving you the opportunity to collaborate on your project with leading experts, companies and organisations within the built environment.You will get:
- Access to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Accelerator Forum from April 21-23, 2020, where your project or innovation will be the focus for collaboration with partners and the other innovators.
- The opportunity to test your project in selected pilot projects in collaboration with SUSTAINABLE BUILD partners and network.
- Ongoing support before, during and after the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Accelerator Forum.
- Individual presentation especially for the Accelerator Forum made in collaboration with the SUSTAINABLE BUILD team.
- A personal video of you and your project – which will also be available at sustainablebuild.dk.
At Accelerator Forum, you will get counselling from the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Council members specifically chosen for this year’s theme and based on the chosen innovators. Following the Accelerator Forum, innovators will become part of a further Accelerating process, that facilitate access to – and realisation of – the opportunities identified at Accelerator Forum.
Participation in the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge can therefore help mature your innovation and open the door to new opportunities.
What are the selection criteria?
The SUSTAINABLE BUILD team, and experts will review and select all applications from a line of criterions. Your application will be judged on the following:
- How big a potential for change your innovation has within its focus area.
- To what degree your innovation can contribute to a positive environmental impact in the construction industry
- To which extend your innovation can better the social impact within buildings and make a better life for the residents and users.
- Your innovations technical feasibility understood as its ability to become part of a market from a technical perspective.
- Your innovations access to the market, understood as your knowledge about strategy, market and the costumers ascribed to it.
- A holistic perspective, where it is visible how your innovation has a holistic approach towards the build environment and the user experience.
Is my intellectual property safe if I participate?
You will retain all rights to your innovation. All submissions are confidential and will not be publicly available. However, if your innovation is selected, you do need to accept a degree of openness, so that the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Group members can understand and support your innovation.
The only terms and condition you are required to commit to as part of your application are:
- That the organisers of SUSTAINABLE BUILD will use the data and information I have provided to review and process my application for participation in the Innovation Challenge, and only for this purpose.
- That I grant the organisers of the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge the right to share and distribute my submission materials to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Group members for review purposes only.
- That I retain full rights over my intellectual property.
- That I recognise that submitting information and content to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge does not in any way constitute a commercial or other contractual relation with anyone, either Challenge participants, partners or organisers.
No, SUSTAINABLE BUILD is a non-equity innovation program. We do not gain a financial profit from submitted innovations, nor do we take financial stake in any person, company or organisation that submits their innovation to us.
I have more than one innovation, what can I do?
You are welcome to submit more than one innovation per person, team or organisation as long as you submit them individually.
In which language can I submit my application?
It is possible to apply in either English or Danish.
What happens after I submit my application?
Once you’ve submitted your application, the SUSTAINABLE BUILD team and experts will review your submission.
If an initial fit exists between your innovation and the partnership, we will be in touch to arrange a video conference call to get to know each other better.
Subsequently, a final round of reviewing will be done by the partners in SUSTAINABLE BUILD. If you are then selected as one of our best innovators of 2020, you will get invited to join our innovation program.
When will I know if I am among the selected innovators?
If you are selected as one of our top 10 innovators, you will know by mid-March.
Are there any financial costs?
No, there is no application fee, and no costs associated with the selection process, aside from the investment of your time. However, should you be selected, we do not cover costs for your participation in the Accelerator Forum days in Copenhagen, meaning you are responsible for your own transport and stay.