SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge FAQ
- What is SUSTAINABLE BUILD?
SUSTAINABLE BUILD is a collaboration between Pension Denmark, Central Region Denmark, Henning Larsen Architects, NCC and Tarkett. SUSTAINABLE BUILD is created in close collaboration with various actors from the building industry such as manufacturers, suppliers, builders, architects, knowledge institutions and government organisations.
The purpose of SUSTAINABLE BUILD is to create growth in sustainable building. We help strengthen the competitiveness of sustainable solutions and scale new sustainable products and business models through cross-industry collaboration.
SUSTAINABLE BUILD is supported by The Danish Industry Foundation, GI (The Landowners’ Investment Foundation), and is operated by Danish Architecture Centerand Leaderlab.
- How is the SUSTAINABLE BUILD project funded?
SUSTAINABLE BUILD 2018-2020 is funded by The Danish Industry Foundation and GI (The Landowners’ Investment Foundation) and the Founding Partners: NCC, Central Region Denmark, Henning Larsen Architects, Tarkett & Pension Danmark, along with the Resource Partners: Frøslev Træ, Kalk, Outrup & Stark.
It is furthermore supported by in kind hours and knowledge from a number of Community Partners. See all our partners here.
- What is the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge 2018?
The SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge 2018 seek projects and innovations that will help create the ‘The Great Indoor Life’, both in renovating existing buildings as well as in designing, building and operating future buildings. The Challenge seek projects and innovations:
- Where health, quality of life and sustainability is at the core.
- Where we design and implement solutions that work across air, light, sound, materials and more.
- Where we learn from the way we use, work and live in buildings to inform and integrate into designs.
- Where we ensure better collaboration between actors across all phases from design to operation, to better meet the expectations for The Great Indoor Life.
Deadline for applications is February 1st 2019.
- What types of innovations are SUSTAINABLE BUILD Challenge 2018 looking for?
SUSTAINABLE BUILD is looking for projects and innovations globally that can provide solutions to the Innovation Challenge. The solutions can be either stand-alone projects, or an innovative way of integrating existing solutions.
In addition, we seek solutions for both existing and future buildings and for all phases, i.e. across concept, design, construction, operation, and renovation.
Your innovation can be a new type of platform, system, process, method, business model, product, material, component – or something completely different!
Important to us is that the solution contains both an indoor and environmental value. The solutions must therefore demonstrate new ways of achieving ‘The Great Indoor Life’, as well as energy, circularity, and healthy materials.
- Who can participate?
The Innovation Challenge is open to all sectors – we welcome applications from the construction industry and beyond.
We are interested in projects and innovations from early stage towards Implementation/rollout(/commercialisation with the potential to significantly impact ‘The Great Indoor Life’.
It is a global call to action, so we encourage innovators from all around the world to apply.
- How can I participate?
You participate in the Innovation Challenge by clicking this link.
In the application form, you will be asked to present your innovation and organisation for us to evaluate why you should join, and if / how we can help you.
You can apply for the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge 2018 from today and until February 1st 2019.
- Why should I participate?
If your innovation is selected, you will get access to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD partners and network, giving you the opportunity to collaborate on your project with leading experts, companies and organisations within the built environment.You will get:
- Access to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Accelerator Forum from April 9-12, 2019, where your project or innovation will be the focus for collaboration with partners and the other innovators.
- Access to one of two Innovation Tracks where we will explore the opportunity to test your project in selected pilot projects in collaboration with SUSTAINABLE BUILD partners and network.
- Ongoing support before, during and after the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Accelerator Forum.
- Individual presentation especially for the Accelerator Forum made in collaboration with the SUSTAINABLE BUILD team.
- A personal video of you and your project – which will also be available at sustainablebuild.dk.
At Accelerator Forum, you will get counselling from the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Council members specifically chosen for this year’s theme and based on the chosen innovators. Following the Accelerator Forum, innovators will become part of a further Accelerating process, that facilitate access to – and realisation of – the opportunities identified at Accelerator Forum.
Participation in the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge can therefore help mature your innovation and open the door to new opportunities.
- Can I submit my application in any other language other than English?
Yes. It is possible to apply in either Danish or English.
- I have more than one innovation. What should I do?
You are welcome to submit more than one innovation per person, team or organisation as long as you submit them individually.
- Are there any financial costs associated with submitting an application?
No, there is no application fee, and no costs associated with the selection process, aside from the investment of your time. However, should you be selected, we do not cover costs for your participation in the Accelerator Forum days in Copenhagen, meaning you are responsible for your own transport and stay.
- If I enter the challenge with a prototype, is my intellectual property safe?
You will retain all rights to your innovation. All submissions are confidential and will not be publicly available. However, if your innovation is selected, you do need to accept a degree of openness, so that the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Group members can understand and support your innovation.
The only terms and condition you are required to commit to as part of your application are:
- That the organisers of SUSTAINABLE BUILD will use the data and information I have provided to review and process my application for participation in the Innovation Challenge, and only for this purpose.
- That I grant the organisers of the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge the right to share and distribute my submission materials to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Group members for review purposes only.
- That I retain full rights over my intellectual property.
- That I recognise that submitting information and content to the SUSTAINABLE BUILD Innovation Challenge does not in any way constitute a commercial or other contractual relation with anyone, either Challenge participants, partners or organisers.
- Does Sustainable Build profit from submitted innovations?
No. SUSTAINABLE BUILD does not make a financial profit from submitted innovations, nor do we take financial stake in any person, company or organisation that submits their innovation to us.
- How can I stay informed during the process?
Once you submit an application, we will keep you updated by email on the selection process. So make sure to type in the correct email address.
For general updates and information sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of the page.
You can also join our LinkedIn group or follow our Twitter account.